Minutes from WVMBA's November 13, 2011 Board Meeting
West Virginia Mountain Bike Association
Board of Directors Meeting 11/13/11 6PM
Truck Stop 67 Flatwoods, WV
Attendees: Drew Smithberger (President), Kim Coram (Vice-President), Michael Miller (Treasurer), Steve Fetty, Steve Worden, Denise Ward, Ryan O’Dell, Ross Swisher, Jason Martin, Thad Kelley, David McCormick, Paul Broughton, Gary Moorefield, Gregory Moore, Morgan Miller, Dennis Butcher, Duane Jones, Mark Schooley, Matt Marcus.
· Minutes from the 8/28/11 meeting were not available for review.
· The Treasurer informed the Board of the bank balance of over $3,000.00. A number of gift certificates are still outstanding.
· Unclaimed prizes from WVMBA Championships were distributed.
· Nominations for Officers of WVMBA were accepted for the 12/11/11 membership meeting elections. Drew Smithberger was nominated for President. Kim Coram was nominated for Vice-President. Mike Miller was nominated for Treasurer. Gary Moorefield and Matt Marcus were nominated for Secretary.
· Denise Ward and Kim Coram volunteered to act as Timing Officials for WVMBA Points races in 2012. Denise would be doing the southern events, while Kim would focus on the northern events. These are paid positions with fuel reimbursement.
· Sanctioning agreements for the 2012 events were distributed to promoters. Signed agreements and deposit are due at the 12/11/11 meeting.
· Discussion was held on the “Ride Guide” magazine WVMBA is producing in place of the Dirt Rag and rack card promotions. Details on promoter information being included and additional advertising availability are detailed in the promoter agreement. · The raffle winner recipient of the Raleigh 29er has his bike and is happy.
· There is a need for promoters and venues to host a High School team race series on Saturdays. The suggestion was made that promoters might want to host a Saturday event before their WVMBA event on Sunday. Scheduling is unknown at this time, and insurance details need to be worked out.
· The draft 2012 race schedule was compiled by promoters. Please see additional page for draft schedule. · Discussions were held to consider the inclusion of two additional events. Ryan O’Dell was willing to include his June 2nd Mohican 100 event in the Ultra Series if it was workable. The Board declined the offer because of the Points Series event at North Bend on June 3rd.
· Gregory Moore representing Elk River Touring Center requested that the August 11th Wild 100 event become a WVMBA sanctioned event. The Black Bear WV State Championship event is also scheduled for that weekend. The BB promoter, Ian Custer, prefers Saturday August 11th to the 12th. Elk River is unsure if they will be able to change to another weekend. Gil Willis of Elk River has not yet responded to a request made during the 8/28/11 meeting that he present the Board with a letter regarding his actions in the U.S. Congress lobbying for Wilderness. The Board renewed the request.
· A photo contest for the “Ride Guide” magazine is being held. Deadline for photo entries is December 15th, and the online voting will end on January 1st. Entries must have permission from the photographer.
· The 2011 General Membership and Board meeting will be on 12/11/11 at 6PM at the same location.
Draft 2012 Event Schedule
XC#1 Mountwood April 15
XC#2 Big Bear Lake April 22
XC#3 Chief Logan April 29 XXC#1 Middle Mountain Mama May 6
XC#4 Crying Wolf May 20
XC#5 North Bend June 3
XXC#2 HooHa June 10
2X12 Big Bear 2X12 June 16
XC#6 Lake Hope June 24
XC#7 Race 2 Little Moe’s July 1
XC#8 Tour de Lake July 8
XXC#3 Cheat Mtn. 100 July 14
XC#9 Blackwater Classic July 22
XC#10 Little Beaver July 29
XXC#4 Big Bear Ultra August 4
XC#11 Black Bear WV State Championship August 11/12(?)
XC#12 Valley Falls August 19
XC#13 Coopers Rock August 26
XC#14 Bob Evans September 9
XXC#5 Revenge of the Rattlesnake September 15
XC#15 Watters Smith XC Championship September 23
XXC#6 Wayne Ultra September 30
Minutes submitted by Matt Marcus.