(Event ID: 561)
Park Day 2011 - a car free Saturday in downtown Parkersburg
Held on Market Street on the 5th thru 7th street blocks
Picture an area in downtown Parkersburg that is temporarily closed to motorized vehicles and designated so community members can safely bike, walk, run, and play.
Partially ADA compliant
Click here to enter the Pocket Park Contest and/or to reserve booth space for your organization!Spaces are limited!
Duration: 5.0 hours
The event will be held on Market Street on blocks 5th through 7th.
Free to attend!
Everyone is welcome!
Goal: To encourage residents to use active transportation such as walking and biking and to encourage downtown businesses to support these modes of transportation.
How will this event encourage businesses and residents?
- We will close off the streets and invite people to walk, bike and recreate in the streets. This is done worldwide as an encouragement tool and is commonly referred to as a cyclovia.
- We will invite activity clubs in the community to attend and share their information and activities with attendees.
- We will provide information and guided tours on Parkersburg’s new cross-town bikeway.
- We will host a swap meet for recreational gear.
- We will host a contest focused on providing support for walkers and bikers. Specifically the contest will address bicycle parking facilities and benches for pedestrians. (Bike ridership increases 60% when secure parking facilities are available). We will invite businesses, schools, clubs and residents to physically design and create a support facility that includes:
- A place to sit
- A place to securely park a bike
- weather resistant signage of at least 8 ½ “ x 11” indicating the entrant’s name & phone number and
- a trash receptacle. Optional items may include, but are not limited to: a hydration station, seating or bike parking for more than one person or bike and decorative items.
Prizes will be given for the best mini park design
Bring your own